Freitag, 19. Mai 2023

A small gesture - or what? ... Or what!

 


On my day off I decided to head into nature - the picture above is a beautiful evidence of me really being there (not only thinking and changing my mind about it a couple of minutes later).
I went to one of the main bus stations in my area to catch the bus to Għajn Tuffieħa. 
All I´ve checked beforehand was the number of the bus route I would need to take, nothing else. On my day off I really love to head into the blue, no schedules, no time management, no stress. Because ... a main bus station in the morning with pleasant temperatures is already part of the adventure. So many different people, so many "stories", so many different moods. I don´t mind waiting at all.

Now, this particular bus station is located on a busy four-lane main road from and to Valletta, our capital city. So, a lot of traffic on a Wednesday at about 11:00 am.
Then ... the traffic lights just turned red and the pedestrians got ready for quickly crossing the road.
All of a sudden police sirens.
A police man on a motorcycle approached the zebra crossing in full speed. He signaled the pedestrians very clear that they can´t cross now. They had to wait. One car had already stopped at the right light. This driver was ordered to quickly drive on.
I already live in Malta long enough to know what would happen next:
a convoy of shiny, black expensive cars will rush through in a few seconds - followed by another police motorcylce with blue lights and sirens. Probably with little flags on the cars to show the high state visitor´s country of origin. 
And, of course, I was right about that ... except the little flags were European Union flags. 

Why do I tell you this story?
Because after the convoy had rushed through, something really amazing happened:
the police man on the first motorcycle, who had stopped to control the red light situation, was about to pick up speed again. While starting to drive away he turned around and thanked the people with a high raised arm!
And I LOVE him for that!
Actually it almost moved me to tears. 
This police man "only" did his job, right? It was his job to control traffic, vehicles and pedestrians, for high state visitors to pass through without any delay. It was his responsibility not only for the smooth ride of a high politican but most of all for the safety of people. He has done his job really well.
And yet he didn´t forget to thank people who were stopped because of the convoy. 
I don´t think this is part of his job description ... and that thought makes me love this situation and the police man even more!

I witnessed something similar a couple of years ago.
When entering Valletta there was an event going on in the old opera house. Right when I was about to walk pass the building one of these above said convoy was approaching. Our then president Ms Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca got out of one of the shiny black cars. Before quickly heading into the opera she also turned around and thanked all of the police men on their motorcyles. 
Again, a gesture I really LOVED back then.

These "small gestures" of kindness and of caring - for me something absolute huge! 
Those few seconds when a person is doing "more than necessary" just because he or she cares for others - witnessing those acts of love makes my day and those memories stay with me forever.

Now, can you imagine what happens, when those acts of love are happening directly toward me?

I call them my diamonds.
And they are shining brightly, even years and decades later.
Cause this feeling of being treaded out of pure kindness and caring means so much to me. It becomes even overwhelming when this gesture is coming from a stranger - without any intentions except to be kind to somebody / to me. 
Several times in my life I ended up hugging a stranger because what he / she did to me warmed my heart and my soul.
And even more often I went away afterward weeping like a little child because this feeling of connection and love overwhelmed me like an avalanche.  

Again, why am I telling you this?
Because I believe that exactly those gestures are the real connection of souls. It might be a fleeting moment, lasting just a finger snip long, but the impact it has on someone´s happiness can be immense!  
Forget all the money in the world, forget power and fame. 
A short moment which warms your heart is so much more worth than anything else!

Enjoy your diamonds.
Never fail to grant someone else a moment of happiness when the situation is coming up.
Never take it for granted when someone else is gifting you with his / her gesture of love!

And please ...
be grateful like hell when you are one of the lucky ones who are able to appreciate those diamonds!!

Thank you very much! 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Do we pay enough attention to our heart wishes?

I´ve arrived in a new time zone, at a new level in my life.  And I have to say this is exciting and relaxing at the same time. I wish I coul...